Friday, December 15, 2017

Making what works for me.


When it comes to determining what board to build I have a simple approach.  The first requirement is being a competent surfer.  That is a big barrier for many people.  Once you have a board that you can surf.  Try other boards and find one or two that work for you. 


It makes more sense to me to make a copy of those boards.  That starts with making a full size drawing of the copy board.  Another way is to use a computer program.  Once you have the drawing it's easy to develop the spar and ribs.  The materials you select for the outside skin needs to be as light as you can afford.  Balsa and Paulownia are good choices.



It's vital to save weight and make the board strong.  Some builders glass the inside or do a coating of resin.  I've never done that.  It's more important for me to save weight.  The one thing that will ruin any board is excessive weight.  I try every trick and technique to save weight during construction.




It takes practice to be a good glasser.  This step can make or ruin a board.  It needs to be tight, light and strong.  I use a vent port on all my boards.  It's a simple screw with an electrical grommet.  I haven't found anything better.  With practice your boards will come out very similar to the ones that you copied.  It's a really good feeling when you surf your creation.  Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment