Thursday, November 8, 2018

Transitioning into Winter.

We've had a really good summer and fall for fun surf.  Some good sized days and lots of little surf days.  It's all good and a lot of fun.


I want to thank my friends for making this year one of the best.  Thanks to my surf buddies that get me out there early in the morning or whenever it's happening.  Big thanks to my beautiful girlfriend Julie for understanding.

At this time I don't see any new builds coming up unless someone is wanting a board.  If or when I do start another build.  I will post pictures and descriptions of the process.  Thanks to all the followers for your support and interest.

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Hurricane Florence

We are finally getting some good quality waves.  It's been a lot of fun.



More to come I hope.  Thanks for your support.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

6'8" Super Fish is Done.

I've been waiting for a chance to get all the little things done.  The vent port got installed and the board was pressure tested.  No problems there.


My next step was to sand the board and fins with 120 grit.  After that I start wet sanding with 220 grit and finally 320 grit.  I do all my sanding by hand.  More Mana for this one.  The last thing I do is apply Dolphin Skin.


I'm satisfied with the way this board turned out.  I did the quad fin cluster set-up a little tighter than the copy board.  It's just a little thing that I happen to like.




I'm glad it's done.  It will be stored indoors in my Florida Room waiting for a good hurricane swell.  



My dog Luke will be keeping an eye on it for me.  Thanks for your support.



Sunday, July 8, 2018

Wrapping it up.

The last big thing to do is the bottom fill and hot coat.  It's like doing the top.  I start by sanding the laps and any high spots.  Then I tape off the rails.


For the bottom it only takes about 12 oz. of resin to do a fill coat.  I apply that and let it level itself out for about 10 minutes.  Next I cure it.



After it's cured I sand the bottom and fins with 100 grit.  It takes about the same amount of resin for the hot coat.



This is how it looks after it's cured.  I still have a lot of wet sanding to do.



I'm happy with how the fins and board are turning out.  It's best to let the resin cure for a couple days before doing my wet sanding.



Thanks for your support.  Keep surfing.

Saturday, July 7, 2018

Filler and hot coat.

My last post was about an issue I was having with laminating the fins.  This time it worked out and I was able to get a good bond between the wood and the glass.  I laid up 3 full layers of S2 glass and 2 half layers.


Today my plan is to do the filler and hot coat on the top.  It takes some prep work to set it up.  I sand any high spots and try to blend as much as possible.


I tape off the bottom edge with green tape.


I make a little breather tube so the board can breathe.


For my fill coat I need a brush, spreader, calibrated cup, respirator, resin and gloves.


When I do my filler and hot coats I use a method similar to the one in this link.  Filler coat and hot coat
As soon as I'm satisfied with the coating.  I take it out and cure it.



This is where I differ from the video.  I sand the board again with 100 grit and remove any high spots.


I rinse the board and tape off the bottom again.  Now I apply another 14 oz. of Suncure.


After I apply this coat I let it set out of the sun for 15 minutes.  Then it gets cured.  I'm pretty happy with the outcome so far.


We have been having some fun small surf for a while now.  There is hurricane Beryl headed this way.  That's great news.  Thanks for your support.




Sunday, July 1, 2018

It just might work.

When it comes to any of my projects.  I like it when everything goes as planned.  After exchanging ideas with my fin maker I learned something.  Don't make things harder than they have to be.  He recommended that I clean the fins.


I did that with xylene.  That removed any of the surface oils.  I used some masking tape to remove any little pieces of cotton from the cotton balls.  


My next step was to apply a layer of Suncure sanding resin.  The wood soaked it up.





The Bloodwood is very dark and a good contrast color.  I let the resin cure and sanded the fins with 100 grit.


My next step was to make a batch of laminating resin.  I added a single layer of glass to the fins to see if it was going to work out better this time.


The glass went on smooth.  This just might work out after all.  I hope so.  I'll know tomorrow.




Friday, June 29, 2018

OOphs watch out for the Bloodwood.

We finally had a little break from the summer flatness.  Nice little knee to waist high nuggets for the past 3 days.  Fun stuff and the water cooled down.


My project took an unexpected detour today.  I glassed the fins in yesterday.  That went alright.  Today I was cleaning them up for some more glass.  That's when I noticed the polyester resin didn't bond with the fins.  I pulled at it and the glass didn't stick good.


The fins are Bloodwood and something else.  It's a bummer that I didn't expect.  My next step is to carefully cut these off.  I've been working with polyester resins for a long time.  This is a first time anything like this has happen.


Lesson learned on this post.  Stay positive and get in the water.  Thanks for your support.